Today in institute we talked about righteous anger. We determined that rightous anger comes out of love, a desire to help someone improve. It never occurous out of the heat of the moment, and the Spirit always accompanies it. The Spirit is actually what gets to do the real reproving.
It reminded me that I was called to repentance yesterday by the Spirit. For something I didn't even really realize was a problem to be honest.
Saturday night I had a melt down. I think this was because I was extremely tired. Friday night and saturday morning were spent at a RS Retreat where I simply feasted on the Spirit; it was so strong. I've discovered that intense doses of the Spirit are exhausting on the body. Hence my state of tiredness. Because I was exhausted I was quiet, and reflective, and melacholy. And then my adorable and innocent roommate did and said some things that reminded me of a set of memories I have been trying to banish from my thoughts. These are not bad memories, they just generally tend to put me in a sad mood, and so I try to avoid them. Anyways, combine the memories leading to a state of melancholy with my extreme tiredness... and I found myself laying in bed and shaking while the tears just leaked out.
Then: Yesterday I had about a bazillion meetings. Ok... not quite that many, but let's just say I was doing church stuff for NINE STRAIGHT HOURS. And as I was sitting in a fireside in the course of my busy day, the sweet wife of President Whitsides started talking about how important it is to trust the Lord. I think the Stake President talked about it a bit to... and somewhere in the middle of something someone was saying, it hit me. The reason that I had a meltdown the previous night is because I haven't yet placed my complete confidence in my Lord. Actually, this is the reason that I've had a lot of mini-meltdowns over the past while. And I could feel the Spirit telling me that I need to fix that. It was a righteous reproach by a loving Heavenly Father, telling me that if I trusted him more then I wouldn't have to be sad as frequently.
I want to fix this. But I have to confess that I don't really know how. I can pray harder, or read my scripture more, or keep myself more busily engaged in the work the Lord has asked me to do right now; but I'm scared that even that won't work.
And I'm ashamed to admit, part of me doesn't really want to change, because I like being melancholy sometimes. My roommate tends to put her arms around me when I have my mini-meltdowns, or she brings me ice-cream, or she helps me do stupid activities so that I forget why I'm sad, or she just listens. And I like that. I like letting her patch me up.
I trust God. I know that he will make things in my life work out for the best. I've been telling myself that over and over. But more importantly, He's told me. In fact around 1 o'clock on saturday he told me that he would make everything I was worried about right.
And yet I still fret. And despite the fact that he told me he'd take care of me at 1pm, I still had a melt down at midnight... not even a full 12 hours later. And so the Spirit had to kick me in the middle of a lovely meeting and tell me that I need to knock it off.
Guess I'd better set to work....
No comments:
Post a Comment