Thursday, October 20, 2011

Soul Searching

I've been thinking a lot lately.

And writing letters. These take the form of thoughtful e-mails, scribbled postcards, word documents frantically typed....

some sent. Some not.

Because when you are in China, away from everything, seemingly life itself even, you have a lot of time to examine things. Yourself. Your life. What you want. What you dream about. Things you didn't know you were grateful for.

You also realize who you miss. Who you are homesick for. Some people you expected to feel the pangs for --- others take you by surprise.

Also. You think about the fact that the future is your own to decide. I've been put here in China with 6 of Heavenly Father's beautiful daughters. We just got stuck together. I love them. I'm learning a lot from them. And being with them, as well as pondering my other roommate situations, has caused me to think about the difference between choosing to be stuck with someone, and just getting stuck. And while sometimes getting stuck with someone can be a huge blessing... it's nice to know that when it comes to eternity I get to choose the people I'm stuck with. Well... one of them at least.

I'm also grateful to realize that I can get along with just about anybody if I choose to. Which I rarely choose not to.

So yeah. I've had a lot of time to think about the people that are most important. People who I want to be stuck with forever. People who maybe don't matter quite as much as I thought they did.

I've also had time to think about what the crap I want to do when I get home. Who I want to be with. What I want to do. And sometimes... well... most of the time, thinking about it makes me so confused.... but not in a necessarily frustrating way. Just in a "I don't know what the crap will happen... but that's actually surprisingly ok" sort of way.

So yeah. Being in China has been good for me. For lots and lots and lots of reasons. But one of the big ones: I've had time to let my need to plan ever aspect of my life down to the last detail soften. I've realized that sometimes God doesn't expect us to hammer down the details of our lives 4 years in advance. Sometimes it's ok to not know. To trust. To find yourself suddenly in a situation you weren't expecting, but that by coping with can bring you great blessings.

Isn't it funny how becoming so confused can also make me discover a part of myself that I didn't really know before?

1 comment:

Alex Jackson said...

I have realized this through the past little while. I am so glad you are having a good time in China! Miss you girly!