Thursday, November 1, 2012

Musings and Men

I began typing out my musings in a typical blog post... and then realized that dear-men letters would be a much more appropriate format for expressing part of what I'm thinking. So yes, 6 days before I enter the MTC I am writing to some of the men of my world:

Dear Workaholic,
You may act like you're a little rough around the edges, and we may give each other what borders on slightly too much crap, but I think you're all gooey on the inside and I secretly appreciate you for that. Thanks for the help. You didn't have to give it but you did, and I'm not going to forget it. Thanks for laughing at my jokes, even when they were dumb, and for teasing me mercilessly. I just need that sometimes.
Sincerely,
A not-THAT-irreverent soul

Dear Cowboy,
In spite of promises to myself not too... I have to confess I had a mini-crush on you for a week or two. Don't worry, we're good now... hope that doesn't weird you out. What can I say? You are just so darn GOOD. You make me think, laugh, and every time I left hanging out with you I found myself resolving to be a better person. I love who I am when I am with you, and the fact that I feel I can trust you with pieces of me that I don't tell other people about. Thanks for dropping everything and coming to my rescue when I needed it.
Sincerely,
I still think we think too much alike :)

Dear Superman,
You amaze me. Your confidence and energy and zest for life, in spite of the fact that you haven't had it easy. You keep the spirit close, and it's incredible to watch you. Thanks for being my friend, and for caring, and for talking to me despite the difficulty you have trusting people. People often surprise us with how amazing they are underneath, and you've helped me see that - I hope you've been able to see that in other people too. Please keep in touch -- I look forward to the day when you find what you are looking for.
Sincerely,
That friend who keeps you up way too late

Dear I'mhavingareallyhardtimethinkingofanappropriatenicknameforyou,
Um... wasn't expecting that the other night. But thanks for having the guts to talk to me. Thanks for putting up with me - and for... in your own way... even hinting that you care about me. You've always had this way of making me feel like you can see straight through me, and it's always made me nervous... so I hope you'll forgive me for those times when I wasn't as good to you and open with you as I probably should have been. I've learned a lot from you, even when our conversations were frustrating I was grateful that they pushed me to think in ways I otherwise wouldn't have. For the record, I think you are great, and you deserve to be happy. And not just the mildly content sort, but the tingly I-can't-believe-I-am-so-blessed kind of happy. I hope you find it soon.
Sincerely,
Just me

Dear Smiley,
It's been a pleasure. I can honestly say that I feel much less awkward flirting in part thanks to you. Granted... the skill will probably completely disappear while on my mission. Mind a play date/refresher course when I get back? That is assuming you are still single of course. Thanks for being a good friend and checking on me every now and again.
Sincerely,
Thanks for complimenting my calves

Dear Father,
Thanks for giving me all these friends for a season. Thanks for showing me that awesome men in this world don't come in a limited supply. Each of these men I've written to are righteous men who honor their Priesthood- and that is incredible to me. Can I please have someone similar to them at some point? And will you please bless him 'cause that poor boy is having to wait a long time for me to finish up my chores...
Sincerely,
Your daughter

Dear Prince Charming,
Sorry to keep you waiting. Please be patient a little longer... Australia needs me for 18 months. And I think I need Australia too. But after May 2014 please come find me.
Love,
Krystal

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Miss Krystal,

First of all... you lucky bum! So many wonderful guys around you. Sometimes, I'll admit, I do miss the days of single life when there were an excess of wonderfully upstanding young men all around me that I could flirt with, tease with, laugh with, and admire from a distance. But when I think of my life in the past 6 months I know that this is the better end of the deal.
Your Prince Charming is out there preparing (although he prolly doesn't know that yet and will be particularly frustrated with his failing dating scheme whilst you go away to Australia on the Lord's errand...) to become an excellent husband for you. Sure, I don't have a lot of boys around to admire and tease, but I have one that's just perfect for what I need.
I can't wait to see the ways God blesses you on the mission and I do hope our paths cross again in the future. Who knows where we'll be in 18 months, but I sure hope within reasonable driving distance. ;) If not, please plan for at least one dateless night a month for a Skype gallivant... deal?
Hehe. Love ya sweet girl.

Carrie Cluff