Saturday, March 21, 2009

Books, Not Diamonds, are a Girls Best Friend

I spent my entire night reading. Yup that's right, and it was a book I've read before too.

I love to read. It's the characters that draw me in. I mean the plots and the intrigues, the settings, and the dramatic endings are all very good and well, but it's the characters I fall in love with. I get lost in a world different than my own, one where the ending always comes out happy in the end, and even when it doesn't there is a certain poetic justice to how it all turns out. The characters struggle and grow, they experience real emotions, and as I read I am right there with them, inside their skin and their brain, learning and experiencing with them.

Man... this is such a nerdy thing to blog about, but I really don't care. People find all sorts of ways to escape from reality, I just happened to choose books.

So for everyone out there who hates reading, find a simple book with a good plot and loveable characters and give it a whirl... for those of you who know exactly what I mean... slip into a story and take a short break from the stress of life. Revisit an old friend, or go make a new one.

3 comments:

Saralyn said...

Huzzah for books!

Mimi said...

my problem - is more often than not I can't put them down until I finish - - - even if I have read them before....I just have to make sure it ends the same:)

Anonymous said...

Ok, so yesterday afternoon I started a book, because Kenzie and Mom were both absorbed in theirs and I was feeling left out. I haven't read a book in so long, and this one was really short and just for fun, but it felt good to read again. :) So I stayed up until 4 reading. How dumb is that? :P Pathetic actually...