I was thinking tonight about some things that are a 'big deal' in my life. And I was thinking about how each person is blessed with different weaknesses and challenges. I think that sometimes when one person struggles with something that is another person's strength, the person with the strength has a tendency to brush off their friends weakness as 'no big deal.' Phrases such as "Toughen up," "Grow up," "Get over it," and of course, "It's not that big of a deal," are then used as "advice" for the person with the weakness.
Isn't it interesting that God never does that? When we kneel before him and say, 'Heavenly Father, this really matters to me. I am struggling.' He doesn't say "Well kiddo, this trial is good for you, toughen up." Instead he says, "My child, I love you and will help you. You won't be alone." He doesn't make light of anything that we feel is a big deal, because what matters to us matters to him.
This principle doesn't just apply to areas of weakness or struggle, it also applies to the things we are happy or excited about. When we go to Heavenly Father and tell him all about the small joys we find in life he doesn't laugh at us and say "That's a silly thing to be excited about." He rejoices with us! Because his goal is to help us be happy.
I am grateful to know that Heavenly Father cares about me, and he cares about all my private joys, sorrows, struggles and triumphs. I am grateful to know that he is willing to help me, even if my problems are "small." I am glad that he listens and reassures me of his love and support when I am struggling. I hope that I can be more like him and never make light of something that someone else is struggling with, even if it doesn't seem like a 'big deal' to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment