Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Prayers are more in order than congratuations people...

So in case you couldn't guess... I got called as the Relief Society President in my ward. Well, over half my ward anyways. And people seem to find this sort of thrill when they can introduce me and say, "This is Krystal, THE Relief Society President." Which I have absolutely no idea how to react to....

Many people also seem to think that it is appropirate to congratulate me on my new calling, which I pretty much don't get. I do not view this whole new adventure as something worthy of congratulations, as if I have just earned a medal. I think I would much rather have someone say, 'Good luck... I'll pray for you.' While perhaps patting me on the back. That would be much easier for me to react to, and much more comforting.

Don't get me wrong, I feel super blessed to have the opportunity to serve the sisters in my ward, and I've already noticed blessings in my life: I can remember names better than usual, I've noticed that I care deeply about and can feel the Lord's love for girls that I barely know, and I have also felt the Spirit's influence in my life stronger.

I've also noticed something else happening to me... how I act is a bit different. My whole life the Relief Society President was a lady to look up to, someone to aspire to be like... and now my view has been completely thrown off. The night I got called I got home, opened my scriptures, and read that "it is by small and simple things that great things are brought to pass." And I realized that the Lord calls the weak things of the earth to accomplish his purposes. Therefore: I must be pretty dang weak if he is calling me to watch over everyone else. I'm the weakest of all the girls in the ward! But yet I'm supposed to be the example. Therefore I sometimes find myself thinking things like: "Well, I'd better do that because that's what a good Relief Society President would do." Or... "I can't do that, I'm the Relief Society President." This is both a blessing and a curse. I've definitely been better behaved than I was before anyways...

In addition to my behavior changing, I've also noticed people looking at me differently. It kind of makes me uncomfortable; there is this silent assumption of the type of person I am, as well as a stigma instantly attached to my forehead whenever someone decides to mention that 'she's the Relief Society President.' It's an instant expectation I feel I am not qualified to meet. And I find myself wanting to yell, "But I'm still a real person!! In fact I'm the same person I was a week ago, so quit looking at me like that!" Argh.

Ok. I'm done ranting now, and now I can go back to smiling and pretending like I've got everything together. Because a good Relief Society President has it all together right? hahaha... I feel like a joke kinda. Oh well. I am grateful for the call to serve, terrified I'm going to screw it up, and super happy to know that I have wonderful people and a loving Heavenly Father who all have my back. So ready or not, here I go!

2 comments:

Snoopy said...

Good luck. I'll pray for you... :)

You don't have to have it all together all the time. Nobody does. Even Relief Society presidents :) But don't tell everyone, it's kind of a secret...

Katie Breck is RS president right now, too, and my roommate last year was RS president, and the year before that one of my good friends was... none of them are perfect, but we all grow into our callings. The Lord gives us what he knows will shape us into the people we need to be. You can do it!!! :

Juli said...

Krystal I sorta know how you feel. I felt similar when I was called to be the Primary President. The Lord will help you and everything will work out! I know you will do a fantastic job.