Wednesday, July 2, 2014

For me it's not about ordination, it's about influence.

I've had two friends ask questions in the past few days that are prompting me to attempt to put my thoughts on this subject into words. This is not meant to be an attack on anyone or any idea, this post is simply a way to sort out a few of my scattered thoughts on this topic.

Firstly, I want to point out a few things that seem unrelated but which greatly factor into my feelings on this subject.

1. People need people. Period. No matter how much some wish it were otherwise, that's just how we are made.

2. Equality. Fairness. My definition of equal or fair treatment is not that everyone gets the same, it's that everyone gets what they need. (This is indicative of my SPED degree.)

3. It's natural to need validation - acknowledgement of your value and contribution in the universe. It's a healthy need that is built in so that we will serve- but it turns into pride real quick when our motives are sour.

One of my favorite sections of the Doctrine and Covenants is 121. Many know it for the comfort provided at the outset- the ending is also quite well read. Verses 34-46 begin with the oft quoted question "Behold, many are called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?" And continues with an outline of the principles that must be applied for a rational being to access and use God's exalting power: we usually refer to it simply as priesthood power.

"Many are called." Called for what I ask? Well, as stated in verse 36: "The rights of the
 priesthood." Because the rights to that priesthood connect us to the powers of heaven. Sounds like pretty grand stuff right? But what does it mean exactly?

I'm going to presuppose that we are familiar with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints here. And that we understand that as members of the church we claim that Priesthood keys have been restored to the earth in these times. Translation: God has given some individuals on this earth authorization to a) access His exalting power and to b) grant others permission to access this power as well.

The whole point of God giving us access to this is so that we can come back to Him. And because God is a God of order He gives it in a specific and organized manner. A Prophet has keys to act in behalf of The Lord. The Prophet can't do everything for everyone himself though, so he shares some keys with other individuals. And those individuals can use those keys to allow those in their stewardship to access (have the rights to) the "powers of heaven."

The church functions as a patriarchal order. That means that worthy men are ordained to offices, so that they can perform ordinance work for their family members. The whole point of the priesthood is to help families return as a unit to God. So the full priesthood power can only be accessed by a man and woman who have been sealed in the temple of God. Together they create a family, and together they work to exalt their family.

Recently there has been a lot of news in the media over the issue of women who would like to be ordained to the priesthood - and the question as to why they are not ordained is currently a hot topic.  As I've contemplated reasons that people (male or female) would want to be ordained - I've realized that a lot of it has to do with one of the points I mentioned above - validation. We all want to know we are needed and important. And as women especially, we want to feel that we can take care of ourselves. But I personally believe that one reason God gave only one gender the priesthood is so that we could learn co-dependence and trust. And the reason I believe this is partially because of what I've learned from the end of D&C 121. The last verses give us the blessings we receive from accessing the priesthood worthily. There are a number listed, but I want to focus on the final one: "thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever."

What is a dominion? How will it flow unto us?
The dictionary defines dominion as follows:

do·min·ion

   [duh-min-yuhn]  
noun
1.
the power or right of governing and controlling; sovereign authority.
2.
rule; controldomination.
3.
a territory, usually of considerable size, in which a single rulership holds sway.
4.
lands or domains subject to sovereignty or control.

Now if the point of the priesthood is to exalt God's children in family units, then the dominion referred to must be governing rights to ones own family. And those being governed, will want to be governed. No force, bribes, coercion, etc. Your children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, heck... your spouse, they will want you to govern. Because they respect and love you. They want to heed your counsel, and they ALWAYS will.

Now THAT sounds good to me. Being the kind of being, that has a family dominion flowing forever. And as a woman, I have been blessed with the ability to create that dominion. To be a dominion - to give children birth, but to also give my (future) spouse, deference and respect for the love and care he shows towards me and my children. He in turn, will do the same for me, and together we will build our family government.

That influence, I think that is really what we are all craving. Let me tell you, I don't think it has much to do with an ordination. I think an ordination gives a man authority - which gives him responsibility - which gives him incentive to become the sort of being that his family will want to be governed by. But that influence doesn't come from the a priesthood office. It doesn't come from male. It doesn't come from female. It comes from righteous living. By "persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness and by love unfeigned. By kindness, and pure knowledge...etc."

So for me - the issue of ordination - I don't think it should be an issue. Because I can access all the blessings of the gospel I need. I can build my family government, and all of us have the capacity to be exalted. I don't care one iota if I get ordained one day or not. I do care about developing this kind of influence though. I do care about exerting this influence. And I definitely care about being equal with my future partner. Not better. Not in control. Not subordinate. Equal. We both get what we need to grow. We both work together. 'Cause "neither is the man without the woman, nor the woman without the man, in the Lord."




1 comment:

Christine Hoggan said...

Well put! I love your thoughts on this! Thanks for sharing!