Wednesday, February 4, 2015

When I Grow Up

Sometimes people ask me what I want to be when I grow up. My instinctive response to their query is "smarter."

They laugh and then say... "but really..." and I know what they're driving at... but I think my problem is that I want to do everything.... be everything.

I want to teach children. Run a business. Travel the world. Climb mountains. Work in the temple. Sing on stage. Write and publish a book. Give therapy. I want to listen and advocate. Make impactful speeches. Help a non profit. Become a hair stylist. Serve another mission. Learn all types of dancing. I want to understand medicine and science. Play with a local musical group. Run and bike. Sew blankets and clothes. I want to learn a foreign language or two or three. Plan secret service activities. Participate in religious services of many faiths. Help design and decorate a house. Grow my own garden. Learn to paint. I want to read books from every genre. Become an incredible cook. Teach a class at an institution of higher learning. Use power tools to build furniture. Figure out how an engine works and how to care for it myself. Master a new musical instrument. I want to be an avid family history researcher. Help people learn to ride horses. Plan family reunions.

Especially I want to get married and stay that way. I want to think up ways to make him laugh and smile and then sneakily do them just for the thrill of it. I want to rock my babies to sleep at night and learn to make up fantastic stories to tell them before they go to bed. I want to sit on the kitchen floor with a pot of cookie mix while they "help" me... like my Mom did for me...

Maybe when I'm grown up and smarter... I'll figure out how to be everything I want to be.

No comments: