Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Made to Fly

Flitter by, butterfly,
Float up softly to the sky.
You glide upon the dancing breeze
with apparent grace and ease.
And down here upon the ground
a caterpillar, gravity bound,
I look up to you in the sky
and wish that I too could fly.
Though I know there is a way
I tremble at the price I'll pay.
A small cocoon I'd have to spin
and spend an entire season in,
tucked away from sun and light,
cradled in the darkest night.
My entire form would have to change,
a process painful, new and strange.
Trade my strength for different things:
a thinner form and filmy wings.
And with these wings be born anew.
How would things look to my fresh view
as I emerge into the world
and hope my wings will come unfurled?
Is it worth the hope, the chance
that on the breeze I too could dance,
the sights I'd see up in the sky
if I became a butterfly?

I see you there my friend below,
from the sky I watch you grow.
It may be hard while on the ground
to change a form so gravity bound.
But caterpillar, look up high,
you were made to fly.
It's worth the price, worth the pain,
it's worth the toil in the rain.
Your cocoon will take time to spin,
It will take courage to stay within.
You'll wonder when your form feels strange,
"Is it worth all this for change?"
But oh my friend, you'll love the view
your eyes will see when born anew.
So keep your focus on the sky
for you were made to fly.

-Krystal Cook. February 2014

No comments: