Pragamatism is ok. But there is a difference between looking at things logically and looking at them pessimistically.
For the record: Pessimism is that dreary outlook, the glass is half empty, doom and gloom, life is horrible, there is nothing good about this situation attitude.
Optimism is the determination to find something good in every situation, no matter how dismal it may seem. You aren't ignoring the facts, you are just trying to find something good. (And just so you know... there is ALWAYS something good to find.)
You can disagree with the following opinions, but only if you go by the above mentioned definitions. Don't cheat and change them on me in order for arguments sake. And yes, I am talking to you Kyle.
There are few things wrong with finding everything in the universe to be broken, bad, or hopeless:
1. It's called "igetsocaughtupinhowcooliamthatistartcomplaningabouteverythingpossibleandijustendupsoundingstupid" syndrom. Kind of a mouthful. But it's true, and pretty self explanitory. Ever met someone with this disease? I have.
2. You run the risk of offending people.
Why point out everything bad about a situation, teacher, idea, class, friend, article... ect. ect? You aren't going to fix it by complaining. In fact, you may (in addition to possibly looking silly) find youself making a bad situation worse. (Which is so important I am going to give it it's own number.)
3. You may just find yourself making a bad situation worse.
4. As a Johnny raincloud, you rain on everyone else's parade and make the world seem more dreary. Get it? YOU AFFECT OTHER PEOPLE! Profound I know... I guess that's ok if you like being depressed and want everyone else to join you... maybe. This is closely interconnected with #2. The differences lies in the probable emotions that are going to be produced in other people.
So please stop whining all the time. Please. (I'm not saying never whine... just some of you... tone it down a bit. And think before you complain.)
Although... I will give it to you pessimists out there. You can be extremely amusing to argue with :)
3 comments:
War on pessimism.. well that's pointless.. grubbles..
:)
Joking.
But can we even be friends if this war is going on? I am a bipolar-ist sometimes pessimist sometimes optimist...
Of course. I can handle wishy-washy people :)
Everyone needs a small dose of pessimism now and then... it's just the die hards that get to me.
Yes Krystal, let's all be trapped on a sinking cruise boat that has been flipped over (like in the movie Poseiden), and just say" Well look on the bright side. We may be dying, but think about it. We sure won't die thirsty!" When we could instead say, "This is what's wrong, this is how we fix it, let's get to work", becaue we have just realized reality. And yes, we realized reality because we are pessimists.
No offense.
Kyle (not Ann)
Post a Comment