Saturday, August 15, 2009

Under Lock and Key

Do you ever lock your dreams away inside of you? You take a dream, not an ordinary dream, but a dream that is so special to you it's almost sacred, and you put it in a box, shut and lock the box, and then you tell yourself that you aren't wishing for it anymore-

-but you are sorta lying to yourself.

Because you are still wishing for it, but because the dream is so fragile, and you want it so deeply, you pack it away and convince yourself that if it never comes true it will be just fine. It won't hurt when it doesn't come true because it is packed away in a corner, and you'll leave it there to gather dust, like a trunk in a musty attic.

However, secretly you are wishing and planning and hoping- if by some miracle the dream starts to look like a possiblity, then you'll climb into the attic, find the box, bring it back out, dust it off, unlock it, pull out your dream, and set it free. And when it is free and can finally come true- that's the day you'll allow yourself to really believe in fairytales. That's the day when you'll realize that it's ok to have fantastic hopes, because that'll be the day you'll realize that sometimes wishes do come true- even when they look completely impossible for the time being. That's the day you'll understand that you should treasure hope...

So here's to hoping that I get to climb into my attic in the future, because for now, I'm putting a very special dream up there under lock and key.

1 comment:

Chess said...

Oh, Krystal, you're a beautiful writer! This was really true and touching! I have several of those special secret dreams that I like to deny having. I hope you get to open yours someday, because I secretly hope I can open mine.