Tuesday, July 19, 2011

So maybe I epically lost on this point.

What point? This is what you may be wondering. Because this must be a realization and a half if Krystal is admitting failure....

Well... it's the pretty girl theory point. And if you want to more fully understand this here post you are reading, you are welcome to check out the Pretty Girl Theory post from way back yonder when.

So. Friday I am at work. And I start a conversation with my supervisor. Eric is pretty much as close to having a big brother as I'll ever get. He's married with an adorable little girl, and loves helping students out with life situations, so I enjoy asking him questions about people and life in general --- he usually has great insights. So back to Friday: I ask him why he thinks guys in general are so afraid of marriage these days. He turns to me, pauses for a moment.... and then asks tentatively, "Can I suggest a better question for you to ask?"
"Sure. Go for it." I reply.
"Well. Krystal... the better question to ask, is 'why are men scared of marrying YOU?"

And I began to chuckle. And despite a small tingling of trepidation in my stomach, I tell him: "That IS a good question. Please enlighten me."

Want to know what he said? It went something like this....

"Well. The problem with you Krystal, is that you are really smart. And most guys, not all, but like... maybe 75% of the population, are super intimidated by that, so they won't go after you...."  and then he keeps going with a watered down version of Alan's 'Pretty Girl Theory.'

So I decided maybe there really is something to the whole gig. Doesn't mean I really like how the system works.... but what can a body do?

2 comments:

Sibyl Vane said...

It seems to me that often times the guys that move slower and are more careful getting into relationships are the ones that are the ones that will be more dedicated to whichever girl they end up with. I at least, would prefer a guy with whom I was friends with for a while and who knew me well to a guy who I met by chance and with whom I spent the first part of the relationship in a "honeymoon stage".

And... we're only twenty-one. We've barely begun life. There will be plenty of time for relationships. Why not enjoy being single while it lasts?

Then there's this:
You're an independent person, why not ask out guys that you're interested in? Sometimes people are interested in each other but neither will say anything...(something that happened to me recently, actually) so why not be the one to start something?

Krystal said...

Oh don't you fret. I hope this post didn't sound complaining-like. I'm enjoying my singleness --- this post was prompted by a few similar conversations with some males who are scared of marriage, which led to the question posed to my supervisor.

And I totally agree with you. I'd rather eventually end up with someone who was my friend before he was something more.