Sunday, October 7, 2012

Missionary Mode...

Since everyone is in a big hype about the whole mission thing with President Monson's announcement yesterday - I've had a few thoughts that I want to share.

Firstly - I teared up a tiny bit when he made the announcement. Boys can now serve at 18 and girls at 19?! When I realized he was going to talk about the girls age as well as the boys I thought maybe he'd say 20, but I never dreamed of 19. My mind immediately jumped to some dear friends I have who I know would made incredible missionaries and who I believe have desires to serve. And as I thought of them and what this means for them - I was overwhelmed.

I then began to think about the fact that I am going to be an old missionary. No 19 option for me... I'm already 22 and serving. I began to wonder if I wished it were different, and I realized that I don't. I know the Lord has guided me and has given me the experiences I need when I need them, and the blessing of serving a mission needed to come to me now. Now when I was 19, and not when I was 24. 22 and a half year old Krystal is the Krystal who needs to serve. And she is excited to go.

And then my mind jumped to the fact that I've had to wait for 4 months between getting my call and leaving - and some things I've learned during the wait.

I believe that when I have the Spirit with me and a willing heart, the Lord can use me to speak to other people. I've had many experiences when I've opened my mouth and words that I did not plan on saying started spilling out - and as they spilled I realized that the Lord was talking through me because that person needed to hear something. I consider these experiences sacred. They are a beautiful blessing from a Father in Heaven who is showing me that I can be useful to Him, and who is also helping me to see that He does answer people's prayers. He is aware of each of His children, and He wants to communicate with each of us.

I've had a few different conversations with a few different people in the past months. I've been striving to have the Spirit with me, and I've been looking for people to serve. And there have been a number of times when I've been blessed to walk away from a conversation thinking: "Why on earth did I say that? Guess the Lord knew they needed to hear it..." These conversations are part of the reason I feel that God wants me to wait before leaving. There are a few people I need to help and things I need to learn before I go. There are some friends and some sisters who need to watch me prepare to leave, and I believe that helping give those sisters the courage to serve is part of the reason the Lord has given me this wait time.

So for all you sisters who are now wondering if you should choose to serve a mission now that this option is open to you: Do yourselves a favor: fast and pray and ask for an answer. Then figure out if you are willing to listen to the answer. Have the courage to listen regardless of the answer you get. Whether you secretly want to serve or not, listen with your heart. He will answer your prayers. Then have the courage to stay or go depending on the answer you get. And when you get your answer from Heaven, don't look back. To roughly quote a general authority (Elder Holland I think...): "Face your fears, master your doubts, cast not therefore away your confidence and see the beauty of life unfold for you."

God loves you. And this Gospel is true. It is what brings peace and joy and happiness to the souls who desire it.

No comments: