Thursday, May 20, 2010

Maybe "I just haven't met you yet..."

So... my parents have been on my case lately about giving guys chances and dating people. My Dad thinks that my criterion are too strict and that I need to broaden my scope and get to know more guys. My Mom thinks I need to take a leap of faith and just go for it instead of running from everyone who comes my way expressing even an iota of interest.

The problem is... I don't get asked out very often. As in... I think I've been asked out 3 times in the past year.
The second probably is... that my parents are probably right. But I'm comfortable where I am, and the truth is, the idea of dating anyone at all is kinda scary. Actually, scratch the 'kinda scary' --- it's completely terrifying. I am not willing to give my heart away, because I'm scared it's going to get broken. So it's easier to sit back and think about 'one-days' than it is to go about making something happen.

And even if I were willing to take that leap of faith, there are very few guys I'd jump for. Of those that I think I could see myself trusting, none have been asking me out or expressing interest.

So bascially I'm in a very single situation, which, as I've said before: I'm happy with right now. It's scary to date, so I'd rather just hang out with good friends.

Maybe I've got the wrong attitude, everyone else seems to think that I should be depressed by my situation... but I really don't see any point in moping around when the reality is -- I'm not a man chaser, and I don't intend to start giving the 'dating game' a ton of my energy. Is that wrong of me?

My Mom, sister and I watched a music video by Michael Buble today-- he sang his song "I just haven't met you yet." I'd just like to think that is my situation right now. It makes things so much less stressful if I can just believe that I don't know who 'my prince' is yet, and when he appears my world will change somehow. I know that's not realistic, but a girl is allowed to dream right?

Should I feel bad about this? What am I doing wrong? When people start expressing condolences for my singleness I almost feel guilty for not being sad that I don't have a boyfriend. But then I realized I'd rather think they're all crazy and be happy than think they're all right and be sad.

Sorry for my rambling. I just needed to spit it out somewhere...

1 comment:

Juli said...

I think you are doing great! I really didn't date many people and was picky about who I would date. Then I met Rich and the rest is history. So maybe you haven't met the right guy yet.