Monday, September 7, 2009

Corkiness

A cork is an interesting thing - I was told to be like one earlier this week.

It was a really great analogy: No matter how much water is dumped on a cork, no matter how many times it is pushed down, submerged or dragged to the bottom of a pool of water- it always immediately bounces back up to the top.

Now we can all cheer on the cork and think about how amazing it is; we can marvel at how effortlessly it seems to float right back up to the top to keep happily bobbing away at the surface, but do we ever stop to think about how hard it must be for the cork to do that?

I think most of us know the feeling of having events around us continually trying to beat or drag us down to the bottom.

I'm trying to be ask cork-like as possible. I can picture myself trying to merrily bob back to the surface... but I tell you it's an uphill battle. It's hard to be a cork! You are all full of holes, and you have to fight to get to the top- and just when you think you have resurfaced- another bucket of water comes crashing down on you.

But I guess the nature of the cork is not to complain - it's to keep going up for that bit of fresh air. Because as hard as it is to be a cork - I think it'd be worse to be a pebble.

To be stuck at the bottom, lacking the hope of any air or sunshine - that'd be worse than the fight to get to the top.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) It was a good lesson huh? But not so easy to put into practice. But possible. :) And hopefully easier when you have a good friend to bounce off of. :) I'll be here.

Chess said...

That's a great way to think of it! Thanks for sharing!

Snoopy said...

I like you. A lot. :)

Keep bouncing!