Ever been told that someone else 'isn't good enough for you?'
How about "They just don't deserve you." Gotten that one too?
Those two phrases are starting to drive me crazy. I've been told both of them many times. Sometimes the person speaking is referring to a specific individual, and sometimes they are simply referring to boys in general. Most of the time people are trying to give me a form of unwanted consolation. (Either that or they are trying to give me adivce on the caliber of boy I should choose.) But anywho... they use these phrases frequently, and like I stated earlier... it really kind of annoys me when people say them; I've had a hard time figuring out why the use of these phrases bothers me, and I think I've finally got it. Most of the time people use them synonymously, but I've decided that they definitely don't mean the same thing.
In my personal opinion there are plenty of boys out there who are "good enough" for me. However, I have yet to find one that 'deserves' me.
That sounds super egotistical and cocky... so please allow me to explain.
Let's say two people are a applying for a scholarship. They both meet all the requirements to get the scholarship, however one of the individuals, (we'll call him Joe) wants it more than the other (we'll call him Bob). So they both set out to get it. Joe puts together a great application; he puts a lot of thought and time into the application and he does everything he knows how to do in order to prove to the award committee that he is the best person to recieve the scholarship. He submits the application two weeks early, and then religiously checks up on it to see if he will get the award. Bob on the other hand, throws together a last minute application, submits it's the day it's due, and waits to be contacted in order to find out if he has recieved it.
To me, it's obvious who deserves the scholarship more. Both Bob and Joe meet the requirements to get the scholarship... in essence, they are "good enough" to get it. However Joe wants it more than Bob does. Joe does everything he knows how to do in order to win it. Joe deserves it.
Ok... I know, I know. I'm not a scholarship, no girl is. However the principle (in my mind at least) is the same.
No boy deserves me yet, because no boy has cared enough yet to do everything he knows how to do in order to 'win' me. If you are a witness to my future dating life, feel free to tell me that a boy doesn't deserve me, because it may be true, and it'll probably be something I need to think about. I've decided I won't marry someone who doesn't deserve me, because I NEED to know that they are crazy enough about me to do whatever it takes to win me. I will gladly welcome your thoughts on this. But please be careful when you tell me that any boy isn't 'good enough' for me, because most of the time I think that will be a big silly lie.
1 comment:
Fantastic reasoning. I feel the same way, but I think you've explained it beautifully! :-)
Post a Comment