Monday, August 30, 2010

Taking Care of Myself...

I have this flippin emotional disorder ---- it creates a sometimes unhealthy compulsion for me to prove to myself that I can take care of myself. I don't care if anyone else knows that I can take care of myself, they can view me as dependent if they want. As long as I personally KNOW that I can take care of my own needs: financially, physically, and especially emotionally, after I've proved that to myself... then I could probably let someone else help me out.

Only thing is, I don't know if I'll ever prove that to myself because I'm realizing that it's just not possible for me to 'have it all together.'

I try and I try, over and over, to make it look like I've got everything figured out. I figure if I pretend hard enough that I'm superwoman then maybe I'll turn into her. And sometimes I convince myself that I have things figured out, and life is wonderful... for about 5 seconds. And then something falls apart, or I realize that I don't have as much control as I thought I did - and I get frustrated with myself again.

It's horrible. I shouldn't expect myself to be so put together all the time. It should be ok to fall apart.... right? I wish I could convince myself to not be such a control freak.

I've fallen in love with this song... it's called Broken. Most of it goes like this:

Broken clouds give rain
Broken soil grows grain
Broken bread feeds man for one more day

Broken storms yield light
The break of day heals night
Broken pride turns blindness into sight

Broken souls that need his mending, broken hearts for offering...
Could it be that God loves broken things?

Broken chains set free
Broken swords bring peace
Broken walls make friends of you and me

To break the ranks of sin, to break the news of him. To put on Christ till his name feels broken in.

Broken souls that need his mending, broken hearts for offering...
I believe that God loves broken things.

Yet our broken faith, our broken promises, send love to the cross; and still that broken flesh, that broken heart of his, offers us such grace and mercy... covers us with love undeserving.

This broken soul that cries for mending... this broken heart for offering...
I'm convinced that God loves broken things.

Praise his name, my God loves broken things!


I've started listening to it, especially when I need to remind myself that it's ok to be broken. It's ok to not have everything put together. It's ok to not be superwoman... because God loves broken things. He loves a broken me!


I guess you are probably worrying a little that I'm falling apart right now. That isn't true. I have been an extremely happy person the last 4 days. Everything in my life was going right. I had my 5 seconds of feeling like I was on top of life...
5 seconds of feeling like I could take care of myself....

And then I found out that one of the jobs I was planning on having this year has fallen through, and I won't be able to work at the lab school anymore.
It's not a huge bump in the road, and I'll figure out a way around it... but it was mindly annoying, frustrating, and enough to remind me that my life isn't entirely in my own control. I don't have as good of a handle on things as I thought I did.

So I'm just going to keep reminding myself that that is ok.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

The most important thing to remember is we don't have to be in control....ever. That is the Lords job...and one I am grateful to turn over to Him. Trust in Him and remember..He knows the path we are on ...which one we need to be on... and the pitfalls that come our way are only to make our journey that much greater! We wern't created to be alone....luckily we never have to be!! I love you!

Christine Hoggan said...

Hey Krystal! Don't feel like you always have to take care of yourself, the Lord gave us relationships for a reason, we're supposed to be here to take care of each other and learn and grow together. i don't just mean romantic relationships- friends and family were put in place to help take care of each other. Love you! Good luck on the job hunt, if that is what not having that other job has led to- new experiences will be for your good!