Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Apparently I looked 'beautiful' today...

Reading group this morning with my first grades was lovely. Usually the lessons are pretty routine, but today two of the kids were especially wiggly, which means the lesson was going slower than normal. Not a big deal though. We were in the middle of an exercise requiring them to recite letter sounds when one little girl raised her hand in the air.

As I was in the middle of telling another student that he needed to unwind his arms and actually look at the book I was holding, I took a minute before getting to her. She waited super duper patiently. Because having a student wait that patiently is so rare, I turned to her, gave her my full attention, and asked her what she wanted to say.

She pointed one finger in the air, and in a very dignified tone of voice (for a 1st grader) she said, "First, you look very beautiful today. And second..." and she proceeded with the rest of her comment.

My heart melted.
Yup. I love teaching kids.

(And sincere and unassuming compliments definitely don't hurt my ego either.)

3 comments:

Chess said...

Little kids are so wonderfully honest and sincere. Which can either be a good thing or a bad thing. Hahaha! But they were right about you. You are a beautiful person. :)

Taylor said...

That is adorable. :) I love little kids! And Krystal, you are always beautiful. :) Always always!

Daniel said...

I'm positive it's apparent to everyone you encounter.
The honesty of children is one of those things that strikes me when Christ says come unto him as a little child. At my age most people just say I'm blunt but that is my sad sorry attempt at becoming like a little child. I might slightly be jealous of your time with these examples of what Christ has told us to become as.