Saturday, January 15, 2011

Equals

I've noticed something. The very intelligent often rely too heavily on their brain, and they forget that the brain and the heart are equals, and the only way to really be happy is to listen to both of them and find a balance.

Or perhaps it's not even just the very intelligent who have this problem, but rather it's most everyone. I've fallen into this trap a lot. I get upset because I've got something clearly worked out in my brain, I understand how something "SHOULD" go, and it'd be beautiful if my heart would just cooperate and feel what my brain tells it to feel. But I've decided that it is a good thing it's not possible for me to do that.

I think that my heart is a lot better at being in tune with God sometimes than my brain is. But then, there are also times when my heart kinda goes crazy and my brain is the thing that keeps me going... my point is: You need both. Equally. They balance each other out. And as hard as it may be, we shouldn't waste energy resenting one or the other of them because it won't go into alignment with the other wants.

So my challenge to you: whatever issue is giving you grief right now, whatever person or idea or future decision is haunting your mind... think it though. Decide what is most logical. And then throw logic out the door for a few minutes, and listen to what your heart says. After you've figured out exactly what both want, let logic back in the room, and find a way to compromise. Find a way to follow what your heart says too sometimes, not just your head.

You'll be much happier if you do. And if it so happens that your dreams get crushed, remember that it's ok to grieve. Have a good cry, and then have a good conversation with your heart and head again... and make sure you listen to both of them.

No comments: