Sunday, January 9, 2011

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday, and I love today." -William Allen White

I was remembering. Remembering a night, a night not too long ago, a night when I cried. Tears of perfect joy rolled down my cheeks. I watched the sunset, just me and my Heavenly Father, and I told him that I knew life was going to change soon, because nothing so perfect lasts long... and I thanked him for allowing me that time. For allowing my life to be perfect for that little while.

I was remembering. Thinking of that time, that night, and I started to wonder. Why is it that moments of perfect joy and happiness have to be marred by the knowledge that the beauty will soon end? Why does the messy future have to creep in and mock the perfect stillness of that serenely beautiful moment?

But then I remembered. During the messy chaos of life, I am visited by a memory. A memory with an orange sunset, watery eyes and a soul that was soaring. And I realized: that evening visits me during the chaos. The chaos may mock me during the calm, but the knowledge that I will have another moment, another evening in the sunset, with just me and the Lord: that promise sooths my soul, because I know it will come again.

2 comments:

Snoopy said...

I had a sunset like that once. Almost just like that. Where me and Heavenly Father faced a moment together, and I cried and told Him I was scared, and He told me it would be okay, and yes, it would all change, but He would never change. Sometimes I go back to that place and watch the sunset and tell Him thank you for keeping His promise. And remind Him that sometimes I'm still scared. And He reminds me He still isn't leaving me alone.

I love you. Keep watching the sunsets.

Alex Jackson said...

That was beautiful Krystal, very poetic. I have to admit that I've never watched a sunset but I have had many experiences where I was scared and wanted a very special moment to last forever. I remember when the moment ended and I just wanted to cry and beg it to come back, but then I realized that these are the moments that I can look forward to, that will help me go through this life and somehow that calmed me and brought me a wonderful peace.